Could Be Most Expensive Home Ever Sold in U.S.
Twenty-five-year-old billionaire heiress Petra Ecclestone, the daughter of Formula One tycoon Bernie Ecclestone and wife of gold-mine owner James Stunt, bought the famous Los Angeles mega-mansion known as "The Manor" in 2011. Which was built by legendary TV producer Aaron Spelling for his wife Candy and their children in 1991, and after his passing, Candy listed the home at $150 million. But, Ecclestone ended up paying 'only' $85 million.
According to Forbes and news outletsworldwide, Ecclestone is "quietly" shopping it around for, $150 million. ("Quietly,"meaning that it's not on the open market, but obviously word has leaked out. The so-called pocket listing was reportedly given to five of Los Angeles' top agents.) If it sells at that price, it will be the most expensive home ever sold in the United States. She has let it be known that she "will not take a penny less than $102 million," reports Variety's venerable Mark David, Real Estate agent.
The billion dollar-heiress is said to have put $20 million into nine weeks of renovations with the help of interior designer Gavin Brodin and a crew of 500.Forbes' source "confirms that she is looking to gross $65 million for her handiwork, on a home she has owned for three years."
Some mentioned observations:
• Ecclestone likes a glamorous vibe, with plenty of lush, velvety details.
• She also prefers dark decor, particularly plummy grays and blacks. But although she professes to have "quite masculine taste," she also has a weakness for hearts and sparkles, including a giant heart-shaped mirror in the master bath.
• True to her word -- "I need space," she's said -- her walk-in "closet" is in fact an enormous two-tiered room.
• She's fond of Marilyn Monroe, whom Ecclestone faintly resembles. A Monroe portrait -- the same one that graces the cover of some editions of Norman Mailer's biography "Marilyn" -- gazes expectantly over the hair salon and mani-pedi stations that Ecclestone installed in the room formerly occupied by Candy Spelling's doll collection.
• She isn't afraid to flaunt her wealth. A huge photograph of a lusciously lipsticked woman's mouth biting on a baguette diamond hangs over a desk in the master suite.
• She definitely doesn't share Candy Spelling's design sense.
• She gave the foyer -- with its Spelling-era twin staircase inspired by "Gone With the Wind" -- a high-drama black-and-white striped marble floor and liquid-like black carpets up the steps.
• Although she acknowledges that the house is "huge" and really "quite overwhelming" -- at 56,500 square feet, it's bigger than the White House and is thought to be Los Angeles' biggest residence -- she finds it "warmer and cozier" than other houses she looked at.
• Even billionaire heiresses worry about spills. A "vast white-on-white-on-white space" is the only light room now; she says "everything else is very dark and kind of sexy, with, like, a boudoir feel to it. You're not scared if you stain something."
• Her taste in artwork runs less toward her husband's Old Masters and more toward the bronze Marc Quinn sculpture of twinned and bikinied Pamela Andersons that she introduced to the house. "I think it's so fun," she told W.
• Candy Spelling's gift-wrapping room became an office for Ecclestone's assistant.
• The master suite is 7,000 square feet with a kitchen and living room in addition to its bedroom. And husband and wife each has a personal bathroom and closet.
If you are in the market for a new house and would like information on homes for sale, or are first time home buyer not working with a Realtor and would like to schedule a consultation with a qualified Oakland County and Macomb County Realtor, please complete the Lang Premier Properties contact form to have a real estate agent contact you.
Lang Premier Properties are Birmingham Realtors specializing in Oakland County Real Estate. Stephanie is an agent with Max Broock in Birmingham, Michigan. See what past clients have to say about Stephanie Lang. Lang Premier Properties looks out for your best interests when you purchase a new custom luxury home. We always recommend working with an experienced luxury real estate agent when buying a new luxury estate.