Ancient Greeks and Romans were known to hold festivals honoring mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele and early Christian festivals were known as "Mothering Sunday". Over time, the tradition of Mothering Sunday became a more secular holiday filled with gifts, flowers, and other various tokens offered in appreciation of Mom. The custom eventually faded until its re-birth in the early 1930's-1940's.
10 MOTHER’S DAY FUN FACTS
1. - Approximately $14 billion dollars is spent on Mother's Day.
2. - In most of the world's languages, the word for "mother" begins with the letter M.
3. - Ancient Egyptians believed cats were sacred animals and revered 'Bast' as the mother of all cats on Earth.
4. - In the United States alone, around 122 million phone calls are made to moms on Mother's Day, causing phone traffic to spike by as much as 37%.
5. - In what was formerly Yugoslavia, children would tie up their mother on Mother's Day. Mom could regain her freedom by bribing her children with treats. Don't try that today!
6. - The youngest mother on record delivered a baby boy via C-Section in Lima, Peru in 1939. Mom was only 5 years old and her son was raised as her brother.
7. - The oldest woman on record to deliver a baby was Satyabhama Mahapatra of India. The 65-year-old retired school teacher gave birth to a bouncing baby boy on April 9, 2003. This was her first child after 50 years of marriage courtesy of her 26-year-old niece who donated the eggs.
8. - Famous Octomom, Nadya Suelman, was trumped by Bobbie McCaughey's c-section delivery of septuplets on November 19, 1979. At 31 one weeks, McCaughey delievered four boys and three girls.
9. - Jayne Bleackley is known for the shortest birth span as she delivered her son on September 3, 1999 and, 208 days later, birthed her daughter on March 30, 2000.
10. - Longest birth span goes to Elizabeth Ann Buttle who had a baby girl on May 19,1956. A mere 41 years and 185 days later, she delivered her son on November 20, 1997. Now THAT's an age gap!
Regardless of your preferred Mother's Day traditions, the goal is to make your mother feel loved and appreciated for her many sacrifices and continued devotion to you, as her child. A mother's love never expires and she will worry about her offspring until the day she dies.