When buying a new home, one thing you will want to be sure of is that you have good credit. But, if you've never seen your credit report before, how do you know where you stand? There are many free options out there for obtainting a credit report, and it just might be a good idea to see your numbers before you apply for that loan.
Why is your credit score so important?
Your credit score will affect if you can get a loan, how much it will be for, and how much you will have to pay to obtain it. Also, it is possible that there are errors affecting your score; a responsible credit card owner will look for these errors and have them corrected. Finally, in an age where information is passed around quickly and is readily available, identity theft is a real threat. Guard yourself against this type of crime by keeping a watchful eye.
What do you do if you find an error on your credit report?
1. Contact your credit card company in writing. Be sure to attach copies of any documents that show proof of the error.
2. The company will investigate the dispute within 30 days.
3. You will receive a copy of the report in writing.
4. Ask the company to send a new report to any company that has viewed your credit score.
5. If your issue is not resolved, ask the company for a statement of dispute.
For more information on this disputing a credit issue and to see a sample letter to your credit company, check out our source.
Lang Premier Properties is home to a leading Oakland County Short Sale Realtor. We specialize in all aspects of real estate including short sales, foreclosures and working with home buyers and sellers in the Troy, Birmingham, Rochester Hills and Bloomfield Hills luxury market. When you hire Lang Premier Properties, whether you are purchasing or selling Metro Detroit Real Estate, you can rest assured that you are in good hands.